Thursday 3 October 2013

With all due respect to Miss Atwood

It really is rather absurd to quibble over the lyrics of a song that has been in use for over a hundred years. Are some of the Lyrics gender biased? Yes, is God mentioned? Yes again. Should we change it because of these reasons? I would say no. I love Canada and the Anthem is and has been a part of the country. I have many memories of singing it in Grade school, (Then again I remember having to say the Lord's prayer following the singing of the anthem.) I honestly can't picture using a different song to represent the country. I just can't. This country is a melting pot of cultures, we accept and embrace them, it is our differences that make is strong, that being said lately it seems that if someone finds something that has been established even remotely different from what they believe, they expect it to be changed. Somethings do need to be changed to make our country better; then anthem just isn't one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment